Thursday, January 26, 2012

Good chemistry textbooks for 9th-12th grade chemistry?

I've been a chemistry teacher at a medium- sized high school for some time now. The textbooks we currently have are over ten years old and we are due for some new ones. The books we have right now are prentice hall and are hard to follow, plus they don't completely cover topics as well as i'd like them to- such as sig figs, atom structure, and accuracy of measurements. Because I have the students read the chapters and do the section reviews for homework, I'd really like a book that was more self-explanatory so that the kids get a basic understanding of the material before i go over it in class. The ones we have now aren't structured very well and don't have clear definitions of the basic terms. I teach in California so i would also prefer something that will cover most of the material on the California STAR test. Any suggestions?

Good chemistry textbooks for 9th-12th grade chemistry?
I am not familiar with the CA STAR test, but I do have a few chem textbooks I can suggest:



Chemistry: The molecular Nature of Matter and Change (Silberberg / McGraw Hill) - you may be able to view parts on line. I have the 4th ed, but I believe the 5th is out now.



Kotz %26amp; Treichel have done a textbook in the past (Title was Chemistry %26amp; Chemical Reactivity). I have no idea what edition they may be on now, but it was a good text



Another I still have is General Chemistry by Ebbing. It wasn't bad, but even my old edition may be above HS level.



Finally, one used by a HS near me is "Chemistry: Matter %26amp; Change" by Dingrando et.al. - best part about this one is that there is an electronic version. Email me if you're interested and I'll see how I can get it to you.



hope that helps


No comments:

Post a Comment