Thursday, January 26, 2012

How to study math (college student)?

I'm a sophomore in college and I scored "college level" on my algebra placement exam. I didn't take a math class in college yet ... and I'm not sure what to expect. Also I want to say that I only took 3 years of math in high school (so I don't know any trig or calculus).



I am a 4.0 student and I want to keep it this way. I've decided to buy my prentice hall math textbooks from high school (algebra 1 %26amp; 2) to review before the college level class. I know I will do ok ... but ok is not good enough, I want to get an A.



What else do you recommend to bring me up to speed? (books, sites, anyithing that has value)How to study math (college student)?
There are many good books, probably including you present course textbook. A couple of hints though:



Math is highly conceptual... trying to learn formulas by rote is doomed to failure in most cases



Get your hands dirty... do lots of extra exercises



Extra texts can give you a different perspective... a trrip to the library is generally worthwhile.



If there is a type of problem you can't work, go to your teacher and see what concept you are missing



Don't get behind... keep up with the work or you can become swamped at finals... not a good time to learn new concepts or work example problemsHow to study math (college student)?
Take every opportunity to practice that you can. Many schools offer free tutoring. You should check with your school if you think you might need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment